Get ready to have a new favorite breakfast on repeat! This vegan french toast is not only delicious, but so easy to make with only 6 ingredients. Most importantly, this french toast does not have eggs in it, so it is vegan friendly.
How do you make easy vegan french toast?
The secret to a really good french toast is in the batter. Start by adding in your dairy free milk (Milkadamia is what I like to use). Milkadamia works great for this recipe because it has a creamy consistency that soaks up well into the bread. Then, add in your vanilla, maple syrup, and cinnamon. Finally, add cornstarch. I know what you’re thinking, “Cornstarch? But why?!” Trust me! Cornstarch allows your french toast to get a golden crispy outside coating when it cooks in the pan. Stir all of the ingredients together in a bowl with a whisk until well combined.
What dairy-free milk do you recommend for the best vegan french toast?
I think Milkadamia unsweetened vanilla milk works perfectly in this recipe because its creamy and it coats the bread well. Milkadamia’s vegan nut milks are made from raw macadamia nuts that are sustainably farmed. If you want to read more about their regenerative farming practices, head over to Milkadamia’s website to learn all about it! Milkadamia’s products are all non-GMO, soy-free, gluten-free, dairy-free and vegan. Use the Milkadamia store locator here. I buy my Milkadamia at Whole Foods!
My batter is ready, now what?
Put a skillet on medium heat and add your butter to the pan. While your pan is heating up, take your first piece of bread and dip it in the batter. Make sure to fully coat both sides of the bread. Soak for about 10 seconds. You want your bread to be fully saturated, but not so soggy that it will fall apart.
Then, transfer your bread to your skillet. Each side will take about 4-5 minutes to cook. You want it to be a crispy golden brown color. Repeat these steps for all of your pieces of bread. Personally, I love to use sourdough bread, but any vegan bread should work.
What toppings are best on this easy vegan french toast?
Time to get creative! Love peanut butter? Put it on! More of a berry person? Add it! My personal favorite toppings to add are maple syrup, cinnamon, and blueberries. If you are creating this for friends or family, the best part is everyone can make it their own and have fun with it. You could even sprinkle some powdered sugar on top to make it extra fancy.
- Bread: you can try using any type of bread, but one that absorbs well is best. We love sourdough in this recipe but use any kind you like from gluten-free bread to whole wheat!
- Cornstarch: use tapioca starch or potato starch if you don’t have cornstarch
- Cinnamon: if you don’t have cinnamon use pumpkin pie spice!
- Milk: don’t have access to Milkadamia? Use any dairy-free milk that you can find.
A few important tips:
- Do not cook this easy vegan french toast on high heat, it will burn the bread before it can get golden brown! Cook on medium heat.
- Don’t skip the cornstarch, it makes the bread crispy since there are no eggs involved.
- Each side takes about 4 minutes so be patient!
Want more FREE plant-based recipes and meal ideas?
Be sure to follow me on all of my social platforms:
Easy Vegan French Toast
- 6 slices sourdough bread
- 1 cup macadamia milk I use Milkadamia
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp vegan butter omit butter if you are oil-free
- In a bowl combine milk, cinnamon, vanilla, maple syrup and cornstarch. Stir well with a whisk.
- Heat up a non-stick skillet on medium heat and add in the vegan butter.
- Dip a piece of bread in the batter until both sides are coated well and the bread is saturated. It should be covered, but not so soggy that it is falling apart.
- Place the soaked bread on the skillet. Flip after about 4-5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Repeat these steps for all 6 slices.
- Top with maple syrup and berries or any toppings of choice and enjoy!
Thank you to Milkadamia for sponsoring this blog post. Their support allows me to provide free content to you.
Made with love,