This recipe for vegan gluten-free funfetti muffins is 100% plant-based vegan, gluten-free, soy-free, oil-free and finger licking delicious. These may look like cupcakes but I actually used my muffin batter recipe for the base. I topped these with vegan vanilla frosting and natural vegan sprinkles.
What ingredients will I need for these vegan gluten-free funfetti muffins?
cane or coconut sugar
How do you make these vegan gluten-free funfetti muffins?
The process is super simple. All you need is a blender, muffin pan, and bowl to mix everything together. The first step is to blend banana, milk, vanilla and sugar on high until completely smooth in your blender.
What vegan frosting did you use?
I use Miss Jones brand vegan frosting – I found it at my local Fresh Market. I also like Simple Mills brand. Make sure to leave them at room temperature so that it’s easily spreadable. Just go to your local grocery store and most likely they will have a vegan frosting. I believe regular frosting is already vegan but Miss Jones and Simple Mills have cleaner ingredients.
I used a dessert decorator to make the fun fancy design with the frosting. Feel free to use a piping bag or a ziploc with the corner cut off to apply the frosting. You can also spread the frosting on with a knife.
Where do you find natural vegan sprinkles?
I got my vegan sprinkles on Amazon but you can also get the ones from Whole Foods that are 365 brand – they have no artificial dyes. They contain sugar – sprinkles are always made of sugar, but I prefer to get the ones with natural dyes!
Can I omit the frosting?
Sure! These are customizable. If you’d like to make plain funfetti muffins they will still taste amazing. The frosting makes them more fun and more like a cupcake. If you’re hosting a birthday party or something – I encourage you to add the frosting! So delish. Let me know if you make them without the frosting!
Alternatives to Frosting:
- strawberry jam
- making homemade cashew frosting
- maple syrup glaze
If you make these for your guests – they will be begging you for the recipe!
What do these vegan gluten-free funfetti muffins taste like?
They are fluffy, moist, perfectly sweet, decadent, light, and the frosting adds even more sweetness. The muffin itself has a great texture. A lot of gluten-free desserts are either dense or gummy and these are not at all. They’re surprisingly fluffy and very low fat. The mix of the three different flours contributes to creating optimal muffin texture. They taste like if a muffin married a cupcake – the best combination.
You can make a pumpkin version of these by replacing the banana with canned pumpkin. If you don’t want that subtle banana flavor you can also sub with apple sauce – that should work well too.
How do you recommend storing these?
- Store in an air-tight container on the counter
- OR store on a plate covered with foil or plastic wrap
- Do not refrigerate these because it will make the muffins hard
- I wouldn’t recommend freezing these vegan gluten-free funfetti muffins
- Make sure to eat within 1-2 days of baking – they’re best fresh
- Don’t leave them uncovered as they will dry out
A few important tips:
Make sure to wait until the muffins are completely cooled before putting the frosting on. If you don’t wait, the frosting will melt all over the place. Also, be sure to remove the muffins from the muffin pan carefully, you can use a knife to lift them up! Feel free to use parchment muffin liners if you want.
Don’t have muffin liners? That’s ok! Simply just grease the muffin pan or buy a non-stick muffin pan if you don’t want to use oil.
…and if you make this recipe, please rate and comment down below at the bottom of your page with your honest thoughts. Your feedback means a lot to me here at HealthyGirl Kitchen. If you substituted an ingredient/s, please let me know!
Want more FREE plant-based recipes and meal ideas?
Be sure to follow me on all of my social platforms:
Vegan Gluten-Free Funfetti Muffins
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup gluten-free all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cane or coconut sugar
- 1 ripe banana
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup natural vegan sprinkles
- container of vegan frosting optional
- more sprinkles for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a blender, blend banana, milk, vanilla and sugar on high until completely smooth.
- In a large bowl, whisk oat flour, almond meal, gluten-free flour and baking powder together then pour the wet mixture into the bowl and stir to combine well. Stir in sprinkles.
- Add the batter into a muffin pan filling each about 3/4 way to the top.
- Bake for about 22 minutes. Allow to cool for 30 minutes before removing from the pan.
- Optional: once cooled, add frosting on top and extra sprinkles!
- Serve and enjoy! Store in air-tight container.
More healthy plant-based, gluten-free dessert recipes you will love !
Healthy Vegan Thumbprint Cookies (gf, oil-free)
In good health,
join the conversation
What type/brand of GF all purpose flour do you use?
I use trader joes gf all purpose flour!