This quinoa broccoli salad is easy to make, perfect for parties, to meal prep at the beginning of the week and is 100% vegan! This quinoa broccoli salad is hearty and nutritious to keep you fueled, while also being filling. If you are bored of the same old salad, mix it up and give this one a try! The vegan dill dressing is the showstopper of this dish to truly make it so delicious!
Where to Start
Start by getting all of your ingredients prepared.
Start by preparing the quinoa because it will take the most amount of time, about 10-15 minutes. Cook your quinoa with 1 to 1 ratio until the water is absorbed and the quinoa is fluffy.
Next is your sweet potato. Chop it up into small bite sized cubes. I like to coat them with a little olive oil and salt and pepper before roasting them in the oven at 375F for 20 minutes. If you are in a rush, and who these days isn’t, feel free to put your cubes in a microwave safe bowl for 3-4 minutes. Finally chop up your cucumber and broccoli into small pieces and set aside.
How do you make creamy dressing without dairy?
The creamy dill dressing is the star of this dish. For this you will need a blender, raw cashews, dill, macadamia milk for ultimate creaminess, lemon, dijon mustard, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. All of these ingredients will go in your blender and you will blend on high until it has a nice smooth creamy consistency that is easy to pour. Once your dressing is blended you are ready to put your quinoa broccoli salad together
Why macadamia nut milk?
I used the unsweetened original Milkadamia milk for this recipe and found that it helped make the texture perfect and tasted delicious, too. Milkadamia’s vegan nut milks are made from raw macadamia nuts that are sustainably farmed. If you want to read more about their regenerative farming practices, head over to Milkadamia’s website to learn all about it! Milkadamia’s products are all non-GMO, soy-free, gluten-free, dairy-free and vegan. Use the Milkadamia store locator here. I buy my Milkadamia at Whole Foods!
Making the Bowl
Now that your ingredients are ready and in the assembly line, scoop your quinoa into the bottom of the bowl as your base. Next add in your sweet potatoes, broccoli, cucumber and pomegranate seeds and almonds. The pomegranate seeds add the perfect amount of sweetness to the salad. The best part is that you get to make it your own adding in as much or as little of each ingredient as you would like. Finally, add in your dill dressing to the salad and mix it all up. Pro tip: the longer you let the salad sit in the dressing, the more delicious it gets!
Will my non-vegan friends and family enjoy this?
Absolutely, besties! Not only will they love it, but they’ll be asking you to make it for every gathering. It doesn’t matter the time of year, this dish can be served whether it is hot or cold out, and will be a fan favorite. This quinoa broccoli salad is a great way to get in those veggies, too! This is a great way to show your friends and family just how easy and delicious eating plant-based can be.
- Cut your broccoli into tiny bite-sized pieces to avoid huge chunks.
- Microwave your sweet potato cubes in olive oil, salt and pepper instead of roasting them to have them cook quicker (takes 5 minutes!).
- Feel free to use any type of quinoa or grain you like! Rice works great or even farro.
- Store in the fridge for up to 5 days. It gets even better as the salad soaks up the dressing.
- Meal prep this at the beginning of the week but healthy, easy plant-based lunches! This is meant to be served out of the fridge, do not heat.
- The fun part of making a salad is making it your own! Feel free to leave out any of the salad ingredients, or add in any ingredients.
Quinoa: Feel free to use any type of quinoa or grain that you prefer. Brown rice, wild rice, farro, cous cous or pasta would work well too.
Vegan Milk: While I highly recommend Milkadamia as your milk of choice for making the dressing, you can use any vegan milk that you like if you can’t find Milkadamia.
Almonds: Don’t like almonds or have an allergy? You can use any type of nut you’d like, or even omit the almonds all together. Pine nuts or sunflower seeds would be a great substitute in this quinoa broccoli salad.
Quinoa Broccoli Salad (with creamy dill dressing!)
- 1 cup quinoa yields 4 cups when cooked
- 1 cup finely chopped broccoli
- 1 cup diced cucumbers
- 2 cups diced roasted sweet potato
- 3/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
Creamy Dill Dressing
- 1 1/4 cup macadamia milk I use Milkadamia
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup fresh dill
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Cook the quinoa and let it cool. You need 1 cup uncooked quinoa (yields about 4 cups cooked).
- Dice sweet potato into small cubes and roast in the oven in olive oil salt and pepper for 25 minutes or microwave in a microwave safe bowl for 5 minutes.
- Chop the cucumbers, and broccoli and prep the pomegranate seeds if you didn't buy them pre-shelled.
- Into a large bowl add the quinoa, sweet potato, cucumber, broccoli, almonds and pomegranate seeds. Pour the dressing over and mix to combine well.
- Store in a container in the fridge up to 5 days
- Add all of the dressing ingredients to a high-speed blender then blend until completely smooth. If you don't have a high speed blender like a Vitamix, soak the cashews in hot water for 10 minutes to soften them.
Made with love,