Vegan wedge salad is the perfect way to use a head of iceberg lettuce. Wedge salad traditionally has dressing made with dairy, cheese and bacon but follow this recipe to learn how to make a plant-based vegan version of a classic wedge salad. This version has smoky coconut bacon, tomatoes, onion, pecans and homemade vegan hemp seed ranch dressing. You won’t believe how delicious this is.
What ingredients do I need for the vegan wedge salad?
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- cherry tomatoes
- diced red onion
- coconut bacon
- vegan hemp seed ranch dressing
How do you make the hemp seed ranch dressing?
Traditionally ranch dressing is made with buttermilk, spices, sour cream, and mayonnaise. I make a healthier plant-based version with hemp seeds! They’re filled with healthy fats, fiber, protein and omega 3 fatty acids that are essential to hormone function, brain health and heart health. Blend hemp seeds, spices, and water in your blender until creamy and smooth and it will magically turn into vegan ranch dressing! It’s the perfect substitute for your favorite dressing.
- Vegan Fried Rice
- Vegan Pad Thai
- One Pot Mushroom Leek Risotto
- Easy Minestrone Soup
- Vegan Cheesy Cauliflower Potato Casserole
Will my non-vegan friends and family enjoy this?
Absolutely. This is a total crowd pleaser because who doesn’t love a salad with a creamy dressing and fun toppings? I make this for my friends and family when they come over and I am asked for the recipe every single time. I knew it was time to add it to the blog because it has been highly requested by my audience and friends! This salad is the perfect opportunity to showcase a salad that isn’t boring at all. This shows your family and friends how great eating plant-based can be!
A few important tips:
- Do not overcook the coconut bacon or put the pan on too high of a heat, the coconut bacon will burn.
- Store the hemp seed ranch in the fridge for 5-7 days.
- Cut the iceberg lettuce into “wedges” to keep the shape of the wedge salad.
- Serve this fresh. You don’t want the lettuce to get soggy.
- Add the dressing first, then add the toppings on top for perfect presentation.
Why is it important to use organic veggies?
I use Josie’s Organics iceberg lettuce in this recipe. It’s crunchy and stays good in your fridge for weeks. Josie’s Organics is an amazing all organic company that grows their produce in the fertile California Valley. It is especially important to get organic greens because they are apart of the dirty dozen.
Josie’s Organics doesn’t use any synthetic fertilizers or pesticides on their farms. If I see Josie’s Organics in the grocery store, I snatch it up real quick because it’s truly such fresh produce. You can find their produce at stores like Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods, Sprouts and many more. Be sure to look out for Josie’s Organics in your local store! Use their store locator here!
How do you make the coconut bacon for the vegan wedge salad?
Use shredded coconut or “coconut chips”. Saute them in a pan on medium heat with liquid smoke, and coconut aminos. Add a little maple syrup if you want. Toast and saute until golden brown and crisp. Do not turn the heat up too high – they will burn! Continuously stir the coconut bacon. Add sea salt at the end. Store in an air tight container and use as you need.
The coconut bacon will last a few weeks in the container! You do not need to refrigerate it but you can.
Want more FREE plant-based recipes and meal ideas?
Be sure to follow me on all of my social platforms:
Vegan Wedge Salad (with coconut bacon!)
- 1 head iceberg lettuce I use Josie's Organics
- 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped raw pecans
- 3/4 cup diced red onion
- 1 cup coconut bacon
- 1 cup large unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos or soy sauce
- 1-2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp maple syrup optional
Hemp Seed Ranch Dressing
- 3/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tbsp dried dill
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup water
- Cut iceberg lettuce into quarters or "wedges". Top with dressing then add the tomatoes, pecans, onion, and coconut bacon. Enjoy!
- In a non-stick pan, saute coconut flakes on medium heat. Add in coconut aminos, liquid smoke and maple syrup. Mix until evenly coated. Saute for 5-10 minutes until crisp and golden. Do not burn. Stir continuously. Remove from heat and add onto salad!
Hemp Seed Ranch Dressing
- Blend all ingredients together in a blender until smooth and creamy! Store in fridge for up to 7 days.
This recipe post was made possible by Josie’s Organics. They are a long time partner of mine and I am so thankful to have teamed up with them on this post!
Made with love,