This Tofu Dinner Bowl with the absolute most delicious mango salsa is going to be on rotation for dinner! It is so easy to make with a few simple fresh and delicious ingredients. You get the protein from the tofu, the carbs from the rice, and the mango salsa is so flavorful and vibrant!
Notes on Ingredients
Please take note that this is important information about the ingredients used in this recipe and the FULL recipe with measurements and details can be found DOWN BELOW (scroll to it) in the recipe card.
extra firm tofu– a great source of protein to add to your dinner.
teriyaki sauce– gives the tofu and rice delicious flavor. Try to find one that doesn’t have any extra refined sugar in it.
Rice– an excellent way to add in carbs that will keep you satiated longer
Mango avocado salsa:
red bell pepper– An excellent source of vitamin c and fiber
ripe mango– An antioxidant that can help with any stress in the body
avocado– A healthy good for you fat.
red onion- to give it flavor
cilantro- a delicious herb that is known for ridding the body of heavy metals
lime juice– a nice splash of citrus
seasoning– salt, pepper and garlic powder will tie all of the flavors together
How do you make Tofu Dinner Bowls?
Prep the tofu by cutting it and scoring it with a knife in two directions creating diagonal cuts.
Dip the tofu cutlets into the teriyaki sauce and grill.
Cook the rice (or use frozen pre-prepared rice and microwave it).
Chop all ingredients for mango salsa.
Add salsa ingredients to a bowl and mix in lime and spices!
Assemble the Tofu Dinner Bowl with rice on the bottom, the tofu on top, then topped off with the salsa and enjoy!
Commonly Asked Questions
- What kind of rice do I use? Any! You can use any kind of rice that you prefer. Don’t have time to cook it on the stove top? Feel free to use a microwave one to save time.
- What if I don’t have a grill? No problem! You can use a counter top grill, or even saute the tofu in a pan.
- Help! Cilantro tastes like soap to me! What should I do? Don’t worry! You can add parsley instead, or omit an herb all together in the salsa.
- Does the type of mango matter? Any kind of mango works!
Extra Helpful Tips
- Chop up all of your salsa ingredients before adding to a bowl. Make sure the onion is diced small so you do not get a huge bite of it.
- To make your rice extra fluffy, use this instant pot!
- The slices in the tofu help for the tofu to absorb the teriyaki sauce.
- If you cook your rice ahead of time, add 1 tsp of olive oil to it and stir so it does not stick. Reheat when ready to use.
- Use a paper towel, a dish towel or a tofu press to get any excess liquid out of the tofu before putting on the sauce
More Easy Vegan Dinner Recipes
How to Store
- Store the rice and tofu together in a container for up to 4 days.
- Keep the salsa in a separate air tight container for up to 5 days.
- Use the leftover salsa with chips, in a bowl, or eat it as is!
Tofu Dinner Bowl (with mango salsa!)
- 1 block extra firm tofu cut into four filets
- 1/3 cup teriyaki sauce
- 1 cup rice uncooked
- cilantro, lime, sesame seeds garnish
Avocado Mango Salsa
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup diced ripe mango
- 3/4 cup diced avocado
- 1/2 cup finely diced red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- salt, pepper, and garlic powder
- First, cut a the tofu block into 4 filets, score diagonally in both directions on the surface to allow it to soak up more sauce as shown in this video.
- Dip each tofu filet in teriyaki sauce. Saute or grill tofu for about 10 minutes (flip halfway through if it’s a pan).
- Finely dice everything for mango salsa and add into a bowl!
- Cook your rice. To make a classic white jasmine rice, bring 2 cups of water to a bowl, add 1 cup of rice, turn down heat to low, cover and cook for 15 minutes until water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork.
- Assemble the bowls with rice on the bottom, then the tofu, then topped with the mango salsa. Feel free to garnish with sesame seeds and a fresh squeezed lime juice.