Smooth, indulgent, light yet rich vegan tofu chocolate mousse is next level delicious. Make this plant-based treat for a high-protein dessert that not only has great health benefits but also satisfies that sweet tooth.
How do you make vegan tofu chocolate mousse?
The first step is to blend the silken tofu, macadamia milk, maple syrup and vanilla in a food processor until smooth. Then, add cocoa and blend again – make sure there are no chunks. Melt your vegan dark chocolate chips in the microwave then pour into the food processor. Blend until completely smooth. Add into three or four ramekins or containers and let them chill and set in the fridge for at least 2-3 hours. I think it’s best if it sits overnight though. Top with any toppings you like from nuts to chocolate chips to fresh berries.
Can you taste the tofu?
The short answer is no! You can’t taste the tofu at all. Silken tofu is great for desserts because it has a very mild flavor. It’s also very creamy and soft and is very different from firm tofu. Chocolate does a great job of adding flavor to a dessert so all you taste is the chocolate in this recipe – no sign of tofu at all. The silken tofu gives this the absolutely perfect texture for a chocolate mousse. You need to use silken tofu this! Make sure to not get any other kind of tofu – it will give this the wrong texture.
Will my non-vegan family and friends enjoy this?
Yes! This delectable dessert can be enjoyed by both vegans and non-vegans. Everyone who I make this for, gobbles it up without any complaints whether they are plant-based or not. This is sweet, chocolatey and simply delicious – I promise everyone is obsessed with this masterpiece of a vegan dessert. The best part is that you can’t taste the tofu at all! Try to have everyone guess the secret ingredient, no one can ever figure it out!
Why macadamia nut milk?
I love macadamia nut milk – it’s easily one of my favorite vegan milks! It’s creamy, nutty, smooth and absolutely delicious. I use the unsweetened one in this recipe. My favorite brand is Milkadamia and I am excited to have teamed up with them on this recipe! Their vegan nut milks are made from raw macadamia nuts that are sustainably farmed (so cool right?!). If you want to read more about their regenerative farming practices, head over to Milkadamia’s website to learn all about it! Milkadamia’s products are all non-GMO, soy-free, gluten-free, dairy-free and vegan. Use the Milkadamia store locator.
Also, I don’t know about you but I LOVE a company that is earth-friendly and actually cares about our planet and the animals. If you are allergic to nuts or can’t find it in stores near you, use any unsweetened nut milk.
More vegan dessert recipes you will love:
- Copycat Girl scout Samoa Cookies
- Vegan Gluten-Fre Twix Bars
- No-Bake Vegan Cheesecake
- Funfetti Muffins with Vanilla Frosting
What makes this chocolate mousse healthier?
Chocolate mousse is typically made with a lot of dairy products including heavy cream, milk and dairy filled milk chocolate – all of which contribute to heart disease, type 2 diabetes, cancer risk, inflammation and a whole host of other issues. This vegan tofu chocolate mousse is 100% dairy-free! If you’re lactose intolerant or have a severe dairy allergy, you know how dairy can affect your stomach. This recipe is much easier on digestion. The only sweetener in this recipe is maple syrup. It is healthier to use a natural unrefined sweetener like maple syrup when typically, chocolate mousse is made with refined white sugar.
A few important tips:
- Use silken tofu! You need silken tofu for the right texture. This is sold at most grocery stores with the rest of the tofu. So don’t worry! It’s not that hard to find.
- You can use cocoa or cacao – either one will work!
- Don’t have macadamia nut milk? That’s okay – use any other unsweetened plant milk!
- Chill in the fridge for at least a few hours before serving. This needs to set in the fridge after you make it.
Want more FREE plant-based recipes and meal ideas?
Be sure to follow me on all of my social platforms:
Vegan Tofu Chocolate Mousse
- 1 12 oz package of silken tofu
- 2 tbsp
unsweetened macadamia nut milkI use Milkadamia
- 3 tbsp maple syrup add more if you want it sweeter
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup melted dark chocolate chips
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- In a food processor, blend silken tofu, milk, vanilla and maple syrup until smooth. Then add the cocoa and blend again.
- Melt dark chocolate in microwave at 30 second increments, stirring in-between, until completely melted. Pour into the food processor and blend until smooth.
- Pour into three ramekins or small containers and let them chill and set in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Serve and enjoy chilled!
Made with love,