It isn’t a proper Thanksgiving meal without some cranberry sauce! Forget the can opener and make your own 2- ingredient homemade cranberry sauce! No refined sugar added – yes please! Huge fan of Thanksgiving but want a healthier menu this year?! This cranberry sauce needs to be on your list of things to make.
2 simple ingredients, 1 delicious cranberry sauce
What makes this cranberry sauce healthier?
Canned or jarred cranberry sauce is filled with TONS of sugar, artificial ingredients, high fructose corn syrup, artificial colors and dyes and processed ingredients. Canned cranberries lose their nutrients as well. Make this 2-ingredient homemade cranberry sauce because it’s 100% vegan, has no corn syrup, it’s gluten-free, dairy-free, is made with real ingredients, and has no refined sugar, only maple syrup.
Maple syrup is 100% natural so it’s a great sweetener to use if you’re trying to eat a healthy plant-based diet.
How do you make this 2-ingredient homemade cranberry sauce?
First, wash the cranberries well. I would buy organic cranberries if you can find them (I got mine at Trader Joe’s). You can also use frozen cranberries if you can’t find fresh. I found fresh cranberries at Trader Joe’s! They are readily available this time of year so make sure to snatch some up to make this amazing cranberry sauce.
Simply add the cranberries, water and maple syrup into a medium sized pot, bring to a boil, then simmer for 20 minutes until the cranberries have burst and you’re left with yummy, tart, sweet, cranberry sauce! That’s it! It’s as simple as that.
Side note: If you need something simple and easy to bring your family’s Thanksgiving dinner?! This is absolutely perfect.
What can I do with the leftover cranberry sauce?
This 2-ingredient homemade cranberry sauce is delicious doubled as a jam. Make a Thanksgiving edition pb + J sandwich with cranberry sauce instead of jelly. It would be great with a little vegan cheese and crackers or on a savory Thanksgiving sandwich. Eat the leftovers with your other Thanksgiving leftovers, it would be delicious with your mashed potatoes, gravy, vegan turkey, stuffing and more!
It’s so delicious I even sneak a little plain! Haha! Don’t tell.
How should you store this homemade cranberry sauce?
The best part is that this freezes really well and it can be stored in the fridge for up to a week. I would first store what you think you’re going to eat in the fridge but then if you have a ton of leftovers keep it in the freezer then defrost when you want to use it for a meal again.
Store in an air-tight container in the fridge or freezer.
A few important tips:
- Get fresh or frozen cranberries to use in this cranberry sauce. Get organic if you can. Around Thanksgiving time, stores are filled with cranberries so you should not have a problem finding them
- Store in the fridge for up to a week or store in the freezer.
- If it’s not sweet enough for your liking, add more maple syrup or sugar of choice until it’s sweet enough for you. This recipe is very flexible! I don’t like mine overly sweet so I keep the recipe as is.
- The tartness of cranberries varies so if you need to adjust the sweetener, go ahead.
- Optional: add a couple tbsp of orange juice if you want more flavor!
Want more FREE plant-based recipes and meal ideas?
Be sure to follow me on all of my social platforms:
2-Ingredient Homemade Cranberry Sauce
- 2 bags fresh cranberries about 24 oz
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 cups water
- Add cranberries, water and maple syrup to a pot and bring to a boil, once boiling cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Remove from heat and let cool. Store in container in fridge. It will thicken more as it cools!
- Serve and enjoy!
In good health,
join the conversation
My mouth is watering just thinking about making this one!!!
Perfect recipe…my entire family enjoyed it, even my husband who doesn’t like cranberries! I took your advice and added a bit more maple syrup. Making a second batch now as the first one was gone in three days 🙂