Watch the video tutorial below! ⬇️
Looking for a delicious, hearty, filling, main course for your plant-based dinner?! Look no further because you will be obsessed with this vegan shepherd’s pie.
Forget the turkey on Thanksgiving and make this plant-based shepherd’s pie instead…it’s to die for. It contains two layers of comforting, warm goodness.
The crispy potato layer on top is pure heaven.
Vegan Shepherd’s Pie: The Perfect Main Course
New to a plant-based lifestyle or trying to get your family member to try it out?! Make them this dish to introduce them to the wonderful world of plant-based eating.
There is a common misconception that vegans only eat tofu and lettuce – that is far from the truth!
Eating plant-based is an adventure. You get to try out recipes and foods that you may not have tried before and it helps you branch out. A hearty, filling, savory, satiating meal like this is great for the plant-based diet skeptic.
Lentils, mushrooms, peas, carrots and yellow onion make up the bottom layer. Also, the red wine, tomato paste and different spices give it an amazing flavor. It’s topped with creamy, 100% vegan mashed potatoes (YUM!). I can’t get enough.
The best part – this is a dish that feeds the whole family. It’s the real deal.
Don’t have a family to feed? Make a pan and eat it throughout the week, it’s delicious reheated and perfect for meal prepping.
I made this for myself and my fiancé and OMG he gobbled it up and couldn’t believe how good it was. He used to be a huge meat-eater and he’s now been vegan for over 4 years. #plantbaseddiet
This recipe won’t make anyone miss the meat. In addition, this vegan shepherd’s pie is also filled with protein and fiber. The lentils pack a major protein punch – total score!
I love seeing your creations. If you make this vegan shepherd’s pie recipe, please let me know! Post a picture on Instagram and tag me! Also, don’t forget to rate the recipe and comment below, your feedback is very important to me.
Do you have suggestions, recipe requests or other general feedback? Don’t hesitate to reach out.
Share the love
Pin this to Pinterest, share the recipe link with friends on Facebook, post a picture of your creation to Instagram, or share with co-workers on linked-in.
Vegan Shepherd's Pie (oil-free)
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- 3 cups cooked french lentils brown lentils (I get the pre-cooked one's from trader joe's)
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups chopped mini bella mushrooms you can use white button too
- 1/2 cup red wine I use organic vegan wine from trader joes - Charles Shaw brand
- 1 1/4 cup veggie broth
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1.5 tsp salt
Mashed Potato Layer
- 6 medium yukon gold potatoes
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Peel and cut up the potatoes and bring a large pot of water to a boil. Once boiling, add potatoes into pot and cook for about 20 minutes.
- In a large non-stick pan or pot saute onions, carrots, frozen peas and mushrooms in 1/2 cup veggie broth until soft, completely cooked and all liquid is cooked out.
- Add lentils, tomato paste, red wine, rosemary, thyme, rosemary, parsley, garlic and salt to the pan and the remainder of the veggie broth (3/4 cup). Stir and combine completely and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add into a 9x12 casserole dish and evenly distribute. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Stain potatoes and put them back into the pot. Add in nutritional yeast, almond milk, garlic and water and mashed until smooth.
- Remove dish from oven and top with mashed potatoes. I put them in a large zip loc and cut an inch off of one bottom corner then piped the potatoes on in rows. You can do this or simply add dollops of the potatoes and gently spread.
- Bake for another 15 minutes then broil on high for another 10 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and enjoy!