Sushi…made from quinoa?! YES! You heard right!!
Vegan quinoa sushi is seriously going to be your new favorite go-to healthy meal! It is a little time consuming but I promise it’s worth it! It is seriously a labor of love. This is also really fun to make with friends or a significant others so get everyone involved! SUSHI PARTY!
You can most definitely use rice but we have all had sushi made with rice before so why not switch it up and make sushi a little more exciting with quinoa!
Quinoa has more nutritional benefits than right as it is filled with fiber, all of the essential amino acids, magnesium, calcium, iron and potassium.
I made my rolls with cucumber, avocado and yellow bell peppers however you can use any veggies you like!
Roll Filler Ideas:
- purple cabbage
- shredded carrots
For this vegan quinoa sushi I made a multi colored quinoa and added turmeric to the water to make turmeric quinoa! This adds an extra health boost as turmeric helps to reduce inflammation and fight diseases.
You are going to want to use a bamboo mat to help you roll your sushi!
Add a thin layer of quinoa (let the quinoa cool down) to your nori seaweed sheet leaving about an inch of space. Don’t overstuff your roll, otherwise it won’t close!
Add in thin, long slices of your veggies of choice.
Then proceed to roll your sushi. If you have never made sushi before I suggest looking up a YouTube tutorial, there are plenty!
When you cut your sushi, you need a VERY sharp knife…I repeat, a very sharp knife! When you cut the rolls, you are going to want to gently saw back and forth – the rolls are delicate!
Fun idea: sprinkle sesame seeds on top like I did!
Why spend a ton of money out at a sushi restaurant when you could make your own healthy vegan sushi in your home?!
Healthy dipping sauce idea: coconut aminos mixed with sriracha
I encourage you to get creative! Sushi making is supposed to be FUN! For example, invite friends over to have a sushi party, get your kids involved, have a date night with your spouse, or even make this by yourself to have an adventure in the kitchen.
Feel free to add ginger, wasabi, soy sauce, peanut sauce, sriracha, spicy vegan mayo…whatever your heart and yummy desires!
Do you love sushi?
Tell me your favorite kind of roll in the comments!
SHARE THE LOVE! If you make this recipe, I want to see your beautiful vegan quinoa sushi creations! Take a picture and tag me on Instagram or Facebook @healthygirlkitchen!
Feel free to also share the love by pinning this on Pinterest!
Vegan Quinoa Sushi (gluten-free
- 2-3 cups cooked quinoa add turmeric to the cooking water to make turmeric quinoa
- nori seaweed sheets
- cucumber slices
- avocado slices
- pepper slices
- 1 tbsp per cooked cup of quinoa rice vinegar
- sesame seeds optional for topping
- Cook your quinoa and set aside to cool for about 30 minutes before making your sushi rolls.
- While the quinoa cooks, prepare your veggies! Slice up whatever veggies you want in your rolls. I used the veggies listed but you can add carrots, spinach, mango, etc.
- Add the rice vinegar to the quinoa after it has cooled.
- If you don't know how to make sushi then I would suggest watching a YouTube tutorial beforehand.
- Lay your nori sheet out on your bamboo rolling mat or a towel if you don't have one. Add a thin layer of the quinoa on the sheet leaving about an inch of room at the top.
- Lay your veggie on top of the quinoa then roll!
- Slice the roll carefully and gently with a very sharp knife.
- Serve and enjoy! I paired my roll with a sauce made from coconut aminos and sriracha.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did!
In good health,