Soup season is here and there is nothing better than cozying up with a classic bowl of tomato soup! This Sheet Pan Tomato Soup has all the nostalgia of your classic favorite but with a twist – grilled cheese croutons! Each bite is filled with ooey gooey vegan cheesy goodness that balances out the Sheet Pan Tomato Soup so well. Also, this soup is mess free, vegan, and great the next day.
Notes on Ingredients
Please take note that this is important information about the ingredients used in this recipe and the FULL recipe with measurements and details can be found DOWN BELOW (scroll to it) in the recipe card.
What Ingredients do I Need?
Sheet Pan Tomato Soup:
tomatoes – great for heart health and has nutrients to keep your skin glowing
garlic – helps to lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels
yellow onion – adds a nice flavor with the tomatoes when roasted to help break up the acidity
thyme – is known as an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory and adds flavor to the soup
olive oil – to coat the veggies for baking. This one is my favorite!
coconut cream – adds a creamy thicker texture to the soup and breaks up the acidity of the tomatoes
salt and pepper – for seasoning
sourdough bread – or any bread of choice! I prefer sourdough or a whole wheat bread.
cheese of choice – vegan cheddar is what I used!
How do you make Sheet Pan Tomato Soup?
1. Preheat the oven
2. Prep a baking sheet
3. Peel onion and cut onion and garlic.
4. Add onion, garlic, all tomatoes, and thyme to the pan. Drizzle on olive oil then season.
5. Roast the veggies.
6. When the veggies are done, add them into a pot with the coconut cream and use an immersion blender to blend or pour the veggies into the blender and blend!
7. Make your grilled cheese.
8. Either dip the grilled cheese into the soup or cut them into grilled cheese “croutons”.
9. Serve and enjoy!
Commonly Asked Questions
- What type of tomatoes should I use? I used a mix of cherry tomatoes and tomatoes off the vine, but any type will work as long as the measurement is correct.
- Can this be gluten free? Yep! You can use any type of bread that works for you.
- Do I need to use fresh thyme? Fresh thyme is best for this Sheet Pan Tomato Soup to get the most flavor, but dried thyme would work too.
- Will I be able to eat this as leftovers? Definitely! You can reheat the soup for up to 4 days and make sure to make some more grilled cheese to go with it when serving.
Extra Helpful Tips
- If you are using a blender to blend the veggies, be cautious of the heat of the veggies and make sure to have the lid of the blender on to avoid a mess.
- For cooking the grilled cheese, you can use a skillet. If you want melty cheese, put a lid on the pan to “steam” it.
- If you are making grilled cheese croutons, they are best when they are crispy and put right on top of the soup before serving to avoid the croutons getting mushy.
More Easy Vegan Soup Recipes
How to Store
Store the Sheet Pan Tomato Soup in an airtight container for up to 4 days. To reheat, use a microwave or pour into a pot and heat on the stovetop. The grilled cheese is best when made and served fresh.
Sheet Pan Tomato Soup
- 10 large tomatoes
- 1 head garlic
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 5 sprigs thyme
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- salt and pepper
- 2 slices bread of choice
- cheese (I use vegan cheddar!)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Prep a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Peel onion and cut onion into quarters, and cut head of garlic in half.
- Add onion, garlic, all tomatoes, and thyme to the pan. Drizzle on olive oil then season with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 45 minutes.
- When the veggies are done, add them into a pot with the coconut cream and use an immersion blender to blend or pour the veggies into the blender and blend!
- Make a grilled cheese by adding cheese to the sourdough bread. Heat a pan to medium heat then spray olive oil into the pan. Cook the grilled cheese on both sides for 3 minutes per side or until golden brown on each side. You can always cover the pan with a lid to steam it and melt the cheese if it’s not melting.
- Either dip the grilled cheese into the soup or cut them into grilled cheese "croutons".
- Serve and enjoy!