Fruit. Is it good for you? It is bad for you? Is it possible to eat too much fruit? Do I have to limit myself from eating fruit because of the high sugar content? These are some of the questions I hear ALL the time and I thought I would write a blog about it to give you a Holistic Health Coach’s point of view on this heavily debated and controversial subject.
Let’s talk about added sugar and natural sugars. Whether it’s a candy, donuts, or soda, processed white sugar is being ADDED to make the product sweeter. These kinds of foods have zero nutritional benefits and are loaded with additives, chemicals, refined flours, dyes, and of course, refined sugar. Eating a candy bar should not be placed in the same category as eating an apple. The fructose found in fruit is a naturally occurring sugar.
I like to think of fruit as food as nature intended. Fruit has so many incredible nutritional and healing benefits. Instead of thinking of “sugar”, think of fruit as a whole package that contains fiber, vitamins, minerals, water, and disease-fighting antioxidants. The benefits that fruit provides are unmatched. People have come to associate fruit with bad carbs and sugar which has led to an irrational fear of fruit. If you are avoiding and cutting out fruit from your diet, you are depriving yourself of one of mother nature’s greatest gifts to our earth.
Every fruit has its own function and its own special nutritional benefits. At this point in time, there is more chronic illness than ever before. Fruit works to prevent disease; it lowers the risk for heart disease, diabetes, and cancer and can help heal existing conditions.
- Blueberries: fight and prevent Alzheimer’s disease with their powerful and potent antioxidants, lower blood pressure, high in fiber, great source of vitamin K, manganese and vitamin C, slows aging
- Bananas: high in potassium, ease digestion, protects the heart, contain tryptophan, which provides stress and anxiety relief
- Watermelon: hydrates the body on a cellular level, boosts the immune system and promote clear skin
- Mangoes: high in vitamin A, C, and E, prevent many different kinds of cancer as well as strokes, arthritis, and kidney disease
- Pineapple: benefits bone health, eye health, and are incredible for the digestive system
These are a just a few examples out of the countless varieties of fruit available to us.
I have lost a total of 20 pounds and have maintained a healthy weight since starting my health and weight loss journey 4 years ago. I eat fruit every day, multiple times a day, and eat it in abundance. I have a fruit smoothie for breakfast, I snack on fruit throughout the day, and I never deprive or limit my intake of fruit. If you are trying to lose weight, or are just trying to be healthy, I promise you that fruit will only benefit you. If anything, fruit will help you to lose weight. Don’t fall prey to the anti-fruit propaganda being spread in the health world. If you want to be healthy, live a long life, and live a healthier lifestyle, fruit should without a doubt be included in your everyday diet for optimal health, longevity and overall well-being.
In good health,