Hello my beautiful friends!
I have a new recipe that is going to have you freaking out. Vegan Chocolate Chickpea Bark is here and it’s quite literally the most genius dessert I’ve made.
Don’t worry – you can’t taste the chickpeas at all. They’re simply just crunchy and covered in sweet chocolate. This is a great nut-free version to chocolate covered nuts and is super high-protein because duh, they’re chickpeas! #YUM
How do you make vegan chocolate chickpea bark?
You are going to start off baking the chickpeas in the oven for about 35 minutes or until crunchy. You don’t want mushy chickpeas in your chocolate – that wouldn’t be good…so make sure they have a good crunch to them before taking them out of the oven.
Be careful not to overcook and burn them though. Remove the chickpeas from the oven and add them into a bowl.
Melt the vegan chocolate and then stir the chocolate into the chickpeas, coating them evenly.
Spread the chocolate covered chickpeas back onto the parchment you used to bake them on and in an even layer then put the pan in the freezer for about 15-20 minutes or until the chocolate is completely hardened.
Break the bark into pieces as big or as small as you’d like then serve!
You can store them in the fridge or the freezer.
What brand chocolate chips do you use?
Enjoy Life or Trader Joe’s vegan chocolate chips work perfectly but any chocolate will do. I like a dark chocolate for this recipe though.
Can I use nuts or dried fruit instead of chickpeas?
Sure! You could use cashews, almonds, raisins or even goji berries.
What kind of chickpeas should I buy?
Unsalted canned and no other added ingredients
How many servings does this make?
Makes about 9 servings – but this is depending on how much you want to eat! Could be more or less.
This vegan chocolate chickpea bark is:
What makes this vegan chocolate chickpea bark a healthier dessert?
This dessert is high-protein, high-fiber, lower fat, super easy and packed with vitamins and minerals. You don’t need a kitchen aid mixer, blender or food processor. Just a bowl and an oven! Doesn’t get much easier than that!
This recipe is soy-free, 100% plant-based vegan, gluten-free, and has no refined flour. Make sure to use dark chocolate to make this healthier! Dark chocolate has much higher antioxidant contents than milk chocolate. Another side note, milk chocolate is normally not vegan and there are more dark chocolate varieties that are vegan.
Will my family and friends enjoy this recipe?
I am actually freaking out and how GOOD the vegan chocolate chickpea bark looks in the pictures because it tastes even better…seriously you have to make this now! Your family and friends will be so impressed with how yummy a chickpea dessert is – honestly you will fool both adults and kids with this vegan treat. Vegans and non-vegans will enjoy this recipe because not only is it unique but it tastes SO delish.
If you have picky eaters that have a hard time eating beans – this is a sure way to get them eating beans all day long. Since they’re crunchy and not mushy (and covered in chocolate), I can guarantee your kiddos will love this.
A few important tips:
- In terms of storage, this keeps for about 4 days in the fridge or longer in the freezer. I recommend storing it in the freezer so the chickpeas stay crunchy and you can keep it for longer – simply eat whenever you want a piece! Because there are fresh chickpeas in this recipe, it doesn’t last TOO long in the fridge.
- Use chickpeas that are already cooked. I have had people tell me they’ve been roasting hard dried chickpeas – this won’t work! You need to cook them from fresh or use canned chickpeas, then roast them until they’re crunchy.
- Use dark chocolate for high antioxidants – milk chocolate is typically not vegan. Don’t use 100% baker’s chocolate. It might seem tempting because it doesn’t have sugar but it will taste awful since it has no sweetener.
Want more FREE plant-based recipes and meal ideas?
Be sure to follow me on all of my social platforms:
Vegan Chocolate Chickpea Bark (oil-free)
- 1 15 oz can of chickpeas rinsed, drained and patted dry
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Add your rinsed, drained and dried chickpeas on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until crunchy and golden brown. Do not burn!
- Melt chocolate in a bowl in 30-second increments, stirring each time, until completely melted.
- Combine the chickpeas and chocolate in a bowl and stir. Add back onto the parchment on the baking sheet and spread evenly into 1-layer.
- Put in the freezer and allow it to harden for at least 15 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy! Store in fridge or freezer.
If you make this recipe and love it, please rate and comment down below at the bottom of your page with your honest thoughts. Your feedback means a lot to me here at HealthyGirl Kitchen. If you weren’t a fan of the recipe or substituted an ingredient/s, please let me know!
If you liked this recipe, you’ll love my recipe for vegan chocolate dipped peanut butter cookies!
In good health,
join the conversation
Looks delish, will definitely have to put this into my dessert rotation!
Awesome recipe turned out perfect with the chickpeas . If I want to make it with other nuts as suggested or raisins do I have to roast them in oven at the same temperature as the chickpeas first ?
you do not have to roast the nuts or raisins ahead of time!
Amazing pictures! Sounds incredible! Can’t wait to try! 🙂
Do you have a recipe for the chocolate using cocoa?
I have made these a few times and they are wonderful. I also mix in chopped dried apricots & chopped craisins. I sprinkle kosher flaked salt to finish it off. Yummy!
Hi I was wondering how many calories are in this? Thanks, can’t wait to try!
This is a keeper! Make sure to sprinkle liberally with big salt or salt flakes before freezing!