If you’re here, then you must be a fan of pecan pie. This vegan gluten-free pecan pie is a healthier 100% plant-based version of your classic pecan pie that we all know and love. It’s also gluten-free, oil-free and SO easy to make. You are going to fall in love with this simple pecan pie recipe. I promise it’s amazing.
What ingredients go into this vegan gluten-free pecan pie?
- coconut sugar
- maple syrup
- prepared pie crust
- potato starch
- coconut milk
- vanilla extract
…it’s as simple as that!
How do you make vegan gluten-free pecan pie?
First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Mix coconut milk and potato starch. Toast the pecans then add the rest of the ingredients into the pan with them. Stir and pour into the pre-prepared pie crust. Bake for 30 minutes then let it cool in the fridge overnight. It’s honestly so simple and is one of the easiest desserts I’ve ever made.
When it comes out of the oven, make sure it’s set!
What kind of crust do you use?
I used a pre-prepared pie crust that’s gluten-free and vegan. I found it in the frozen section of my Sprouts! You can use any pie crust you like whether it’s homemade or store bought. Feel free to use a whole wheat, regular or gluten-free crust that’s meant for dessert pies. This would even be great with a graham cracker crust. I wanted this recipe to be quick and easy which is why I didn’t include a homemade crust – it just takes too long. There are so many options in stores now that I know it’s super easy to find one. I one I used is from a brand called Wholly Wholesome.
What makes this pecan pie healthier?
Traditional pecan pie has corn syrup, eggs, sugar, butter, etc. Of course it tastes amazing but the ingredients are not the healthiest. I wanted to share a pecan pie recipe that tastes exactly like the traditional one but has better-for-you ingredients! This recipe has less refined sweeteners like maple syrup and coconut sugar. It’s totally plant-based, has no dairy and it’s gluten-free if you use a gluten-free pie crust. I love that this recipe has wholesome, healthy ingredients! You don’t feel sluggish after eating it.
What is the best way to store this vegan gluten-free pecan pie?
Keep in the fridge overnight when you make it but store in the fridge, covered, for up to 4 days. Feel free to also freeze this and leave out to thaw when you want to eat it. Do not leave this on the counter as it will go bad and get too mushy. The fridge is best!
I would cover it or keep it in a large, wide container. I find it easiest to keep it covered in the pie pan though.
Other Thanksgiving recipes to pair with this pecan pie:
Will my non-vegan friends and family like this?
Abso-freaking-lutely. I shared this pie with my non-vegan dad and he went crazy for it. He ate two pieces of the pecan pie in two minutes flat. He was begging me to make more! I also shared it with my non-vegan father-in-law (a self-proclaimed pecan pie lover), and he also said it was outstanding. My plant-based mama and fiance also tried it and they gave it the thumbs up of approval.
I promise your non-vegan friends and family will never know that this is healthy and vegan. It’s decadent, rich, perfectly sweet and tastes like traditional pecan pie! It’s a win-win!
A few important tips down below!
A few important tips:
- Don’t use a pie crust that’s already baked. Get an unbaked pre-prepared pie crust or make your own dough!
- Store in the fridge!
- Make sure to let it set in the fridge overnight for at least 8 hours so it can firm up. This is essential! If you are planning to make this for the holidays, make this the day before to prep.
- Bake for only 30 minutes – this is optimal baking time!
- Feel free to substitute corn starch for potato starch, either will work.
Want more FREE plant-based recipes and meal ideas?
Be sure to follow me on all of my social platforms:
Vegan Gluten-Free Pecan Pie
- 1.5 cups pecans
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 3/4 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp potato starch
- 1 pre-prepared pie crust
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the potato starch and coconut milk in a bowl and whisk. Dry toast the pecans for 1-minute until warmed on medium heat. Turn down the heat to a simmer and add the coconut sugar, maple syrup, and vanilla. Stir. Then add the coconut milk + potato starch mixture. Stir until smooth.
- Pour into the unbaked pre-prepared pie crust. Bake for 30 minutes. Cool for a few hours then let it set in the fridge overnight or for at least 8 hours.
- Serve at room temperature and enjoy!
Made with love,